Frequently Asked Questions: Visas, Green Cards & Immigration Law

As a result of assisting hundreds of immigration clients with various visa matters in past years, our immigration lawyers have compiled a list of frequently asked questions. Be sure to check back often as this list is continually updated. Still have a question? Contact us today to speak with an experienced immigration law attorney.

  • Page 1
  • How long can I stay in the US under an E-2 treaty investor visa?

    You probably realize that, as with all non-immigration visas, there is a finite amount of time that you will be able to spend in the US. Under an E-2 visa, investors and employees (and in some cases, their dependents) will be allowed a maximum initial stay of two years.

    However, many visa holders may extend the duration of their stay. Here are a few things investors, employees, and dependents should know about staying in the US with an E-2 visa:

    • Extension requests of visa status may be granted in increments of up to two years each.
    • There are no limits to the number of extensions an E-2 visa holder may be granted, as long as the applicant maintains an intention to depart the United States when his status is terminated.
    • An E-2 visa holder traveling abroad may be granted an automatic two-year renewal of stay upon readmission to the United States.
    • Family members of traveling visa holders will not receive an automatic extension of stay unless they have accompanied the E-2 treaty investor or employee at the time of readmission to the United States.

  • How much money will I need to invest to qualify for an E-2 visa?

    The amount needed for a U.S. residency visa varies and depends on the nature of the business the investor creates or directs. While there is no minimum amount that can be invested in a business for an E-2 visa, funds generally start at around $100,000. However, it is important to note that these funds are at significant risk, since they are often invested before the visa has been approved. 

    In order to qualify as a “substantial amount of capital” by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, your investment amount must be:

    • A significant combination of funds and/or assets that can be placed at commercial risk in order to generate a profit, and which can be subject to partial or total loss if the investment fails 
    • Enough to satisfy the total costs of purchasing an enterprise or establishing a new one, including building erection, renovation, permits, and daily operational costs 
    • Sufficient funds to ensure an investor’s financial commitment to the success of the business
    • Higher than the lower initial enterprise costs
    • Enough to suggest that the treaty investor will develop the enterprise into a success
    • Documented, and it must be proved that the funds have not been obtained, directly or indirectly, from illegal activity.