The United States is known across the world for having a plethora of fine academic institutions, so it's no wonder that many foreign students want to study in America. Luckily, the F-1 visa makes this possible. The terms are strict but worth it, if an individual is committed to a full-time education. With help from the right F-1 visa lawyer, San Francisco can be a wonderful location for students to get a great education, as well as learn about American culture.
Just like any visa, there are benefits and limitations. Some people may find these limitations to be no trouble at all, while some may find them to be deal breakers. Likewise, the benefits may seem outstanding to one person, but so-so to another. It really depends on what you're looking for, but in general, most people find these to be the positives and negatives:
Benefits of the F-1 Student Visa
- There are no visa number limitations on the F-1 visa, so an unlimited amount of students can enter the United States at any given time.
- You have the opportunity to enter the U.S. as a full-time student to earn a world-class education.
- You have the flexibility to travel in and out of the United States over the course of your studies. You can also stay in the U.S. for the entire time if you wish.
- Your family, spouse, and dependents can come with you if they file and are approved for F-2 status.
Limitations of the F-1 Student Visa
- If you would like to work off-campus, you need permission from the USCIS
- You must leave the U.S. fairly soon after finishing your studies
- Your F-2 dependents are not eligible for employment
Most people find that the positives outweigh the negatives and that the F-1 visa is a good option for many students. If you are thinking about applying for an F-1 visa to go to school in California, you'll need an experienced student visa lawyer; San Francisco is home to a great law firm, The Law Office of Vaughan de Kirby. Working many years as a San Francisco immigration lawyer, Mr. de Kirby will be able to make sure your visa process goes as smoothly as possible. Call today for a free consultation at 415-221-2345.